A Playground Delight

Thanks Johnny Cohen & Unsplash for the great pic.


His energy level was through the roof, so we spent some time at the playground today. He chased and slid and climbed and ran. I had received some hard news that morning, so it was nice to sit without being spoken to for a few moments. I scrolled through my phone mindlessly as I processed. 

 

He called to me and wanted me to watch him do a cool trick. I looked up and kept a steady gaze upon him. I did not look away because I knew he would check to see if I was still watching. Every few moments he checked again. He got to the spot for the cool trick and checked once more. I never looked away. I saw him do all he wanted to show me, and although it was nothing out of the ordinary, he was so visibly pleased that I watched. His smile exploded. Then I asked him to show me more. We talked—him from the top of the play structure, me from the shaded picnic table— about each part of the playground, which slide did which turn, how the sun made this one too hot to enjoy and how that one was super easy to climb back up because of his grippy sneakers. 

 

I delighted in him and he delighted in me. It was the highlight of my day. 

 

I was reminded about how much we desire to be seen and how lonely it feels when it seems the world keeps looking away or drops their gaze. But I am comforted in knowing that God sees. His gaze does not drop. He doesn’t forget to watch. He isn’t bored with our mundane. He doesn’t mind the ordinary. 

 

My El Roi, the God who sees me, also sees you. 

 

“The Lord himself watches over you! The Lord stands beside you as your protective shade. 

The sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon at night. 

The Lord keeps you from all hard and watches over your life.

The Lord keeps watch over you as you come and go, both now and forever.” 

Psalm 121:5-8

 

You, my friend, are the delight of his day. I hope you know that. 



*Thanks Johnny Cohen @ Unsplash for the great picture. 

** El Roi is first used in Genesis 16:13. 

Comments

  1. I absolutely loved this. This is such a good reminder. It is a good reminder of what is truly important in parenting and a good reminder of how God sees me and us all. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Make new friends but keep the old, some are silver and the other is gold

6 months and 1 day

New Things Learned About CT