I never liked the name Irene

Hurricane Irene has come and gone. She left quite the mess. I do not like girls that leave messes behind. We lost power Sunday at 10:30 and had it restored today, Thursday, at lunch time. Power companies from all over the country were in New England helping to restore the electricity.

New Englanders aren't used to hurricanes. Perhaps it all the old trees (aren't trees in the south just as old?), but there was a huge mess and enormous amount of people without power. Gil and I are still in the process of house hunting, so we took advantage of offices being closed (no appointments to be made or kept) and followed our real estate agent around on a wild ride of wires hanging in the road, trees clogging streets and flooded lakes...all to see a handful of houses. She was helpful and gracious as we looked at each one and still wanted the one we had been waiting for.

Today, we went to look at a house that was built in 1740. It was HUGE and had 29 acres. It sat surrounded by a horse farm, on a quiet road and definitely had a story. We drooled walking through it. The price was amazing....and so would the heating bills. The second floor had the extra wide hardwood planks with deep cracks. History could be found in those cracks. Sadly, we had to walk away from the amazing offer. It's just not the time in our family's life to commit to such a huge daily TO-DO list. We need simplicity right now as we pioneer Chi Alpha @ UCONN.

After we walked through, I went and sat on the little knoll outside the house and just looked at it. I tried my best to be mature about the decision. I knew that if I pushed hard enough, Gil would do his best to make it happen for me. Thankfully, that little voice of reason (and holy wisdom) kicked in and told me to let Gil make the final decision. We got in the car and drove away. While I was imagining us in that old farmhouse, stacking firewood, sucking 300 year old dirt out of cracks with a shopvac, acquiring large farm equipment somehow, and stumbling over critters I never want to see alive (or dead, for that matter), Gil asked what I was thinking. I simply said, "I am just glad I don't have to make the decision".  I am honestly very settled with his choice to go ahead and follow through with the bid on the first house we liked (now that our mysterious seller made his appearance in Puerto Rico and signed a document!).

Maybe one day we will have a place like this old farmhouse. Something that has stood the test of time, seen wars and generations come and go. A place to brag about God's goodness.

But ya know what? I don't have to wait for a place to brag about God's goodness. I can do that right now. Right here. Right where I am. Because he is good and always will be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make new friends but keep the old, some are silver and the other is gold

6 months and 1 day

New Things Learned About CT