Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Book Review: Hidden In My Heart Scripture Memory Bible

I am always on the lookout for a cool Bible to give to my kids or to our college students. The classic, straight forward, nothing-but-the-Bible is a must, but sometimes it is fun and motivating to have additional studies, information or lists throughout the Bible. Tyndale Publishing House recently released a Bible called the Hidden In My Heart Scripture Memory Bible, in the New Living Translation. 

The Hidden in My Heart Bible comes with a download code for 100 free scripture memory songs, because we all know that singing something helps most of us remember it easier, after all. I was a little hesitant about the quality of the songs, but I figured I would give it a try anyway. 

As far as the Bible goes, it is a nice size and weight and I think the scripture memory helps throughout are nice. Tyndale included a list of the first 100 verses to memorize, which go along with the songs included, and a challenge list to memorize after you’ve done the first 100. Additionally, the Core 100 verses also connect to a section in the back of the Bible which explains the scripture further, called the To Dig Deeper section. The readers are told which page to turn to to find the right Dig Deeper page. Also, the corresponding song number is there. My biggest hang-up is that it is not a hardback book, and I don’t think it would hold up to major lugging around without a Bible cover. 

Back to the songs. If you grew up in Sunday School, then you probably remember hearing high-pitched, sticky-sweet sounding songs. To most kids, those songs were fun and nothing too crazy. But to the adult in the room, those songs caused major headaches and the constant question of why the singers won’t bring it down an octave...? These songs are the same. The kids like them, the adults don’t. I do have to admit that there are several genres represented in the 100 songs, and a list is included in the Bible as to which ones would be most appealing to different ages. 

What are my plans with this Bible? I’m ignoring that it came with songs and will keep the Bible around until I meet someone that needs a Bible. If you’re serious about scripture memorization, this is a great place to start. 





Thank you, Tyndale for sending me a free copy of The Hidden In My Heart Bible in exchange for my own opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment